The Golden Rules for Living (author unknown) were shared with me. I share them with you.
1. If you open it, close it.
2. If you break it, admit it.
3. If you borrow it, return it.
4. If you move it, put it back.
5. If you unlock it, lock it up.
6. If you turn it on, turn it off.
7. If you make a mess, clean it up.
8. If you value it, take care of it.
9. If you cannot fix it, call someone who can.
10. If it is not yours, get permission to use it.
11. If you do not know how to use it, leave it alone—or ask.
12. If it is none of your business, do not ask.
SUGGESTION: Use the first part of each sentence with your students and/or children. Then have them complete the rest of each statement. These statements are a great way to promote responsibility in youth, which will reduce discipline issues and make your classroom and/or home life much more enjoyable.