One of the best ways to reduce your stress is to simply reframe your problems. Realize that everyone has problems of some sort. Some people have relationship problems, others financial, some career, others health, some social, others business. No one is immune to problems in life. As the late Norman Vincent Peale once said, “There is only one group of people who do not have problems, and they are all dead. Problems are a sign of life, so the more problems you have, the more alive you are.” Although a tongue-in-cheek philosophy of life, there is some truth to this pronouncement.
So, knowing this, I propose that it’s not the problem itself that is causing you stress. Rather, it’s your perception of the problem that is causing you stress. Therefore, the solution is to reframe your problems so that your stress level naturally diminishes.
I know that reframing your problem is easier said than done, especially when you’re the one mired in the problem. Realize, though, that the problem itself is neither positive nor negative. It just is. In a sense, problems are neutral depending upon how you choose to see them and your responses to them. Epictetus made the point more than 2,000 years ago: “People are disturbed not by events but by their view of them.”
What’s the solution? If your take a positive approach and view problems as CHALLENGES, your inner chat changes. Once that internal shift occurs, you are closer to getting a clearer vision of how to deal with your problems. Additionally, you will feel in control rather than feel like a victim. As a result, your effectiveness will increase and your stress level will decrease.
Tip: The easiest way to reframe your problems is to realize that problems are part of life. Winners in the life cycle accept adversities as catalysts to becoming better, stronger, wiser, and more aware of themselves and of the realities of life. That’s when true personal growth occurs.
- For more information about living without stress, visit WithoutStress.com.
- Watch, share, and subscribe to my “Video Insights” YouTube Channel.
- If you are an educator, visit TeachWithoutStress.com.
- To handle every discipline/behavior problem simply and easily, visit DisciplineOnline.com
- To view Dr. Marshall’s award-winning line of products, visit PiperPress.com
- To have Dr. Marvin Marshall do a Zoom session with you, visit MarvinMarshall.com.
- To learn more about everything Dr. Marvin Marshall offers, click here.