Here is an interesting quiz:
1. Name the three wealthiest people in the world.
2. Name the last three heavy-weight world boxing champions.
3. Name three people who have won a Nobel prize.
4. Name the last three Academy Award motion picture winners for best actor (female and male).
5. Name three of the last decade’s baseball World Series winners.
How did you do?
The point is that none of us remembers the headliners of yesterday. Notice that these are not second-rate achievers. They’re the best in their fields. But the applause dies. Awards tarnish. Achievements are forgotten. Accolades and certificates are buried with their owners.
Here is another quiz. See how you do on this one.
1. Name three teachers who aided your journey through your formal education.
2. Name three people who have helped you through difficult times.
3. Name three people who have taught you something worthwhile.
4. Think of three people who have prompted you to feel appreciated or special.
5. Think of three people with whom you enjoy spending time.
6. Name three people whose experiences have inspired you.
Easier? The lesson?
The people who make a difference in our lives aren’t necessarily the ones with the most credentials, the most money, or the most awards. They’re the ones who care. These are our real influencers.