Between politics, a pandemic, and the responsibilities of everyday life, most people are looking for ways to reduce stress. They are feeling overwhelmed, burnt out, and as if they are on an emotional roller coaster. Rather than turning to unhealthy coping mechanisms, such as drinking, smoking, or overeating junk food, you can reduce stress by making some simple lifestyle changes.
Below is a list of 10 ways to start lessening the stress you feel. Before you read the list, realize that the goal is NOT to do all 10 things at once starting tomorrow. That would be unrealistic and would stress anyone out, myself included. Instead, pick one thing you could start weaving into your life right away. Once that one thing becomes something you effortlessly repeat, then add another item. Keep going until the majority of the following items are second nature to you.
Ways to Reduce Stress
- Wake up 15 minutes earlier so mornings are less hectic.
- Avoid over-scheduling yourself so you have a realistic, calm day instead of a frantic day with an impossible schedule.
- Learn to say “No” to projects, committees, and social activities you don’t have time, energy, or interest in doing.
- Do a project you are dreading first thing in the morning. Get it behind you so you can enjoy the day.
- Learn to delegate projects to others.
- Surround yourself with positive, upbeat friends and colleagues. People who constantly worry and complain manipulate others into negativity.
- Make sure to get a good night’s sleep.
- Relax and enjoy a change of pace on weekends. Do some things you truly enjoy. Make time for fun, family, and friends.
- Forget about multi-tasking and focus on one thing at a time. Complete one task before moving on to the next one.
- Focus on what you can do today instead of worrying about tomorrow.
By committing to reduce stress one small step at a time, you can make big, positive changes in your life!
Tip: What one item on this list will you implement tomorrow? Decide today and either schedule it or take the steps necessary to make it doable. Remember, you can reduce your stress and experience greater happiness in your life.
- For more information about living without stress, visit WithoutStress.com.
- Watch, share, and subscribe to my “Video Insights” YouTube Channel.
- If you are an educator, visit TeachWithoutStress.com.
- To handle every discipline/behavior problem simply and easily, visit DisciplineOnline.com
- To view Dr. Marshall’s award-winning line of products, visit PiperPress.com
- To have Dr. Marvin Marshall do a Zoom session with you, visit MarvinMarshall.com.
- To learn more about everything Dr. Marvin Marshall offers, click here.