People often ask me for relationship tips. Of all the things that cause stress in people’s lives, relationships rank high on the list. Whether it’s between adults, family, friends, or children, relationship challenges are inevitable.
But what if there were some simple ways to make relationships easier? What if you could be proactive to ensure your relationships no longer stress you out? Would you take a chance and try something new in order to reduce stress in this area of your life?
To help you have more peaceful relationships and less stress, here are my top 3 relationship tips that will transform your life. While these tips may seem simple at first glance, they are truly powerful tools that we should all practice daily.
1. Give affirmations.
A simple acknowledgment can have dramatic results. This is especially important with young people. They want to assert their independence and autonomy. Just acknowledging that you have HEARD their point of view, regardless of agreement, can have a profound effect on how your growing young one feels about the relationship.
2. Be a good listener.
Simply give your full attention to the person speaking. By using eye contact, a nod now and then, and an occasional interjection, you communicate that you are “with” the person. It helps them feel that you are not only listening, but also hearing what they are saying.
3. Focus on understanding another person—rather than attempting to influence.
Rather than assuming you know the reasoning behind another person’s viewpoint, ask for an explanation. Using this process, the person articulates the reasoning, and you may find that the person’s reasoning is well worth considering. You may receive insight into the other person that will assist you in your discussions with and understanding of that person.
Tip: When you implement these 3 relationship tips into your life, you’ll experience stronger relationships with others and significantly less stress. As with any change, the key is to practice the new action consistently. The more you apply these changes to your life, the better your relationships will become.
- For more information about living without stress, visit WithoutStress.com.
- Watch, share, and subscribe to my “Video Insights” YouTube Channel.
- If you are an educator, visit TeachWithoutStress.com.
- To handle every discipline/behavior problem simply and easily, visit DisciplineOnline.com
- To view Dr. Marshall’s award-winning line of products, visit PiperPress.com
- To have Dr. Marvin Marshall do a Zoom session with you, visit MarvinMarshall.com.
- To learn more about everything Dr. Marvin Marshall offers, click here.