Your mindset is a choice. You can choose to be a victim and feel disempowered and negative. Or you can choose to be a victor and feel empowered and positive. Which do you choose?
I urge everyone to avoid the victimization mentality. It is toxically disempowering and limits you in so many ways. Empowerment is so much more effective. And even if it were not, you would still be happier in an empowerment mode rather than in a victimhood mode.
Over the years, I’ve witnessed many teachers who needed to change their mindset in order to leave the victimhood realm. These teachers believed that when students come from unstructured homes, from poverty, or have some other situation that cannot be changed, that their students’ learning was prohibited. This is the mindset of victimhood thinking on the part of the teacher. Certainly, some home situations diminish optimum learning, but they do not prevent learning.
Your Mindset Influences Others
Regardless of the situation, we can teach students that they can be masters of their fate, that they can be victors rather than victims. We can teach students that when they enter the classroom, whether in person or a virtual classroom, they have the power to choose to learn or not to learn. The choice is theirs. Choice is an empowering mindset.
I saw a teacher teach this powerful lesson to first graders when she taught students to ask themselves, “What can I do in this situation?” The question empowered students with the understanding that choices are always available.
Tip: Assess your own mindset. What are your beliefs about yourself? What are your beliefs about others? Remember that we all have choices available to us. Recognize those choices and you’ll experience a more empowered mindset.
- For more information about living without stress, visit WithoutStress.com.
- Watch, share, and subscribe to my “Video Insights” YouTube Channel.
- If you are an educator, visit TeachWithoutStress.com.
- To handle every discipline/behavior problem simply and easily, visit DisciplineOnline.com
- To view Dr. Marshall’s award-winning line of products, visit PiperPress.com
- To have Dr. Marvin Marshall do a Zoom session with you, visit MarvinMarshall.com.
- To learn more about everything Dr. Marvin Marshall offers, click here.