If you believe in yourself and trust your instincts, you can overcome almost anything. Of course, this is not new information. Epictetus (pronounced Epic-TEE-tus) lived and taught in both Rome and Greece in the first century. Like stoic philosophers that preceded him, he dealt with logic, physics, and ethics.
Epictetus taught that adversity introduces a person to oneself. When challenges arise in your life, remember to turn to yourself and inquire what power you have for turning it to your use. In other words, believe in yourself. Ask yourself, “How can this challenge be an opportunity in disguise?”
There is only one form of security we can attain during our lives, and that is inner security. This kind of security comes from courage, experience, and the willingness to learn, to grow, and to attempt the unknown.
World War II Admiral William Halsey said that if you touch a thistle timidly, it pricks you. But if you grasp it boldly, its spines crumble. Security is not what the wise person looks for. It’s opportunity. All problems become smaller if you don’t dodge them but confront them. You can only do this, though, when you believe in yourself.
We know this but we tend to forget that it’s our reaction to a problem that determines its severity. In other words, it’s not necessarily the problem that matters; it’s how we handle the problem that determines not only our growth and maturity but also our future successes.
Tip: Instead of thinking of security, believe in yourself and think in terms of opportunity. It is so much more liberating.
- For more information about living without stress, visit WithoutStress.com.
- Watch, share, and subscribe to my “Video Insights” YouTube Channel.
- If you are an educator, visit TeachWithoutStress.com.
- To handle every discipline/behavior problem simply and easily, visit DisciplineOnline.com
- To view Dr. Marshall’s award-winning line of products, visit PiperPress.com
- To have Dr. Marvin Marshall do a Zoom session with you, visit MarvinMarshall.com.
- To learn more about everything Dr. Marvin Marshall offers, click here.