Who do you think achieves more in life? Positive people or negative people? I assert that positive people fare far better in all areas of life. Why? Because when you’re positive, you see opportunity in every difficulty. But when you’re negative, you see difficulty in every opportunity.
A negative person allows problems to rent cognitive space. But why think of problems when you can fill your head with solutions?
How you respond to a new idea is an example of what you put in your head. For example, do you immediately dismiss new ideas? Do you see something novel as foolishness? Or do you allow yourself to examine the idea, to try it on for size, and think, “It just might be worth trying”?
The positive person is open to the new, the different, and the innovative. How you respond to new ideas could be the difference between your learning and growing—or stagnating.
Why Positive People Win
When you reflect on it, you will conclude that positive folks have almost always been right versus the negative ones. Every tangible item we possess or use was created by someone who thought, “Now that’s an idea worth trying.” Nothing was ever invented or created by somebody who said the reverse: “That will never work.”
Positive people practice positive expectations. They know that what they think has an effect on their expectations. Myron Tribus said, “There is no such thing as immaculate perception. What you see is what you thought before you looked.” Psychologists refer to this as a “self-fulfilling prophecy.” If you expect the good to happen, more often than not, it will. And if you expect a bad thing to happen, it often does.
Tip: Never deprive yourself of the power of the positive. It’s an attitude you can develop. Just think, “It might work,” and then practice positive expectations.
- Read my retirement announcement and get some great deals on my books.
- For more information about living without stress, visit WithoutStress.com.
- Watch, share, and subscribe to my “Video Insights” YouTube Channel.
- If you are an educator, visit TeachWithoutStress.com.
- To handle every discipline/behavior problem simply and easily, visit DisciplineOnline.com
- To view Dr. Marshall’s award-winning line of products, visit PiperPress.com
- To learn more about everything Dr. Marvin Marshall offers, click here.